“The last season was spectacular in many ways for the team of High Octane Motorsports e.V. The team structure and the whole car were reinvented. In comparison to the previous racecar only the engine, the suspension and the powertrain structure are similar, while the whole chassis and the aero package were redesigned starting with the famous blank sheet of paper.
After the season, not many members stayed in the team. Many of the new team members are in their first year in FSAE, some even in their first year of university attendance. Despite, the decision was made to build a car that was not simply a legacy car, but another revolution for the team. As last years vehicle, the FAUmax lambda features a single cylinder powertrain with the KTM SFX 450 engine, with some improvements. In addition, the new chassis design features, our teams first full CRFP monocoque, our suspension design focuses on simple geometry, low weight and low friction and an aerodynamics package that promises more downforce and less drag than its predecessor.”– excerpt of the design report introduction
The chosen concept is essentially based on the following points:
- A target weight of below 155kg
- An aerodynamic package consisting of front, rear, side mounted wings and an undertray
- A Suspension design with corner springs and a minimum of frictional losses. Therefore, no reversing levers.
- 10” tires
- Longitudinally mounted KTM SX-F 450 engine with a displacement upgrade up to 510 ccm and an overall weight below 25 Kg
- A CFRP full monocoque that contains the drivers cell, the engine and its secondary systems to make a compromise between serviceability, high integration and superior airflow.
At a glance